Saturday, September 24, 2011

Boats on the Bay, c. 1910

Toronto Bay, c. 1910 - now commonly called the Toronto Harbour.  The Toronto Islands are visible on the horizon.

At this point in the city's history, Front Street was so named because it was the front street on the water.  Lake Shore Boulevard and Queen's Quay did not yet extend downtown, and the areas of Ashbridges Bay and the Redpath Sugar factory were still open water; the land for those projects was created following landfill projects in the decades after this picture was taken, meaning these boats plied the waters where there are now condos, cars, and parks.

No comments:

Post a Comment